Friday, September 15, 2006
[[Weekends are finally here!!!]]
Whohoo... weekends are finally here!!!Yes, speaking of weekends! I finally can wear my uncovered shoes and
DENIM JEANS!!! I miss them ok... imagine having to wear those office clothes for 5 days a week?! arg! And now my feet are developing blisters... damn ugly la! Yup today marks the end of my first week of work... wow time passes quite fast I would say... but I still have 19 weeks to go sia >.<
Oh well, lets recall what I did for the past few days...On the first day, I actually went to TTSH (NHG Headquarters) for orientation with my 7 other frens attached to NHG... ya all of us were dispatched to each of their 7 NHG polyclinics individually and so I suppose we have to be rather independent during the 5 months. Anyway we had quite a warm welcome and some briefing regarding our work e.g dress code, pay, schedule etc... In fact we oso managed to meet the heads as well as the HR lady whom settles our pay for this attachment...
Ya speaking about my schedule... I have to fulfil
9 parts spread throughout the 5 months where I get to learn the differnt roles of the staff, workflow of a clinic n pharmacy, dispensing skills, cashiering, counselling techniques, drug inventory management, retail products and I also have to do a retail product presentation... omg... so many things to do la... not forgetting my DPP logbook and major project which I have to do alone! Freak!
Anyway my working hours are more or less fixed... its actually
8.30 to 5 pm... instead of 8 to 4.30pm... but I usually stayed till 5.30pm. So I must wake up at 6.15am everyday den Journey to Bukit Batok station n walk. Yup travelling part sucks la. Anyway good thing for me is that West Mall is jus 5 minutes walk away... so having lunch is still not too bad... and I get to shop ard too! Oh I got paid $44o a mth too...
Haha... Yeah... so far my
work had been quite interesting... den my supervisor Celine, my buddy Alice and other colleagues e.g Natasha, Rohah, Rose, Liling, Uncle David, n Tunaida had been quite friendly and nice! Hmm... I'll be real glad if they dun find me noob cos I kept asking them questions... haha~
Anyway Celine's been a good supervisor so far... cos she's been constantly reminding me the things that I've to do like the projects n logbook, giving me ideas for major project, teaching me how to deal with prescriptions, issueing Que numbers... ya simply nice la... so I'll feel guilty if I do anything wrong or did not keep up with her expectations =X
Yeah... this week had been quite hectic and stressful cos I'm still a newbie and have many more things to learn. But its really fulfilling when I manage to grasp new knowledge, know more drugs, make lesser mistakes as days passed...
Times can be especially stressful when it comes to packing the drugs... cos U have to make sure that the prescriptions matched with the labels generated, den also to make sure that labels printed out are correct e.g the right medicine are dispensed and to check for any intervention... In addition, U have to ensure drugs taken for packing are correct in terms of dosage, strength, quantity etc... But so far, there'll be at least 2 checks b4 the medicine are dispensed out to the patients to ensure no mistakes... First few days I'm so damn muddle-headed la... Kept packing the wrong drug or quantity for the prescription... sigh... so stressed man! And lucky the ppl there are accomodating to my mistakes... but it had made me even more guilty! Well, it is high time I work hard to memorise the drugs!
Like so many of them la >_<Hmm... I managed to "gope" some patients' prescription and the drug inserts for DPP project... got sense of achievement! Haha... I oso learnt to issue Q numbers to the patients and registering them on Wednesday... which is quite fun~
So far... I was rather enlightened by:
1) Liling's experience of handling patients' enquiries on drugs: was introduced many useful research tools and she shared some funny qns asked by patients...
2) Rose's enriching and interesting counselling skills: use of different techniques to deal with different patients based to their illness e.g smoking cessation session where patients are showed some flowcharts and they have to go thru a questionaire, den they were oso taught how to quit given the special nicotine gums or inhalers... But guess wat? One session abt 30 min cost 15 bucks... (who will wana go!? Haha) And ya she shared her experience of "threatening" non-compliant patients etc... today I even got to sit-in to listen to her counsel an Asthma patient... in Malay somemore! Haha...
Hmm anyway today's been raining the whole day!!! ARG I hate it man!
SO FREAKING COLD la!!! Den I caught a flu... damn sian!!! And my right eye was swollen... dunno why... sigh... I'm so worn-out la...
So far, work's been fun for me... but tiring... slowly getting used to it =)p.s: Hopefully I can get a new phone by this Sunday...
Just Xuan blabbering @
Friday, September 15, 2006